Forum Discussion

QuickBaseAdmi10
Qrew Cadet
2 months ago

Audit Log

Hello, 

Currently I utilize an audit log table which when viewing the form you see many sections which are divided by tables. Within each section, I have at least 3 fields:
[field_name old], [field_name new], [field_name updated].
Now one section (table) may have 8 fields that I want to track, which then requires me to create 24 fields. This is not practical, but it does work.

My question. Is there a way to create an audit log with only a handful of fields:
[field name]
, [table name]
, [old value]
, [new value]
, [updated value].

Then have a pipeline which triggers on specified fields when modified, and create a record for each* field modified. 

So if I am trying to track 3 fields, and someone modifies those 3 fields. A pipeline is triggered and 3 records are created on this new simplified audit log.

Hope my vision makes sense. I've been told, and often say myself, if you can say it out loud, it can be done in Quickbase. This one though is a doozy.

Any suggestions?

• Try this answer here. 
    https://community.quickbase.com/discussions/quickbase-discussions/best-solution-to-create-auditchange-logs/17909

• Try this answer here. 
    https://community.quickbase.com/discussions/quickbase-discussions/best-solution-to-create-auditchange-logs/17909

MarkStrassel
      Qrew Trainee

I recently converted my field audit process over to this solution and I like it a lot better.  It still gets a little bulky with a lot of fields, I actually had to create a part 2 because I hit the 26 step limit.  I don't know if MarkShnier__You  reads these replys...any thoughts on how to simplify the pipeline if you want to track all fields, or what about a checkbox for fields that you want included?  A way to identify fields and have them added to the pipeline without having to add them all manually a step at a time?? Just an idea but the solution is easy to implement and gives a very readable report within your tables.

MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

Yes, this solution is in the category of stupid simple to implement, but it is tedious if you have a lot of fields to track. If you want to continue to use the solution, then you would have to make another pipeline and continue on with more fields.

HoweverYes, this solution is in the category of stupid simple to implement, but it is tedious if you have a lot of fields to track. If you want to continue to use the solution, then you would have to make another pipeline and continue on with more fields.

However, if you were interested in a Solution which was a little bit more technical than there is another method which I have implemented using web hooks but never implemented myself using a pipeline so I don't have any code to that I already have. But if you're interested in pursuing that and you contact me directly at the email address mark.shnier@gmail.com then I don't mind working together with you to document a solution which can track unlimited number of fields and we will circle back in a week or two and post the solution.

QuickBaseAdmi10
      Qrew Cadet

MarkShnier__You 
      I was overcomplicating this by a mile. I considered api's, then extracting the json, then iterating over the response via jinja... I am so glad you suggested this method. Super easy.

Thank you!