Forum Discussion

JoshCollins
Qrew Assistant Captain
6 years ago

Can I give a specific user edit permissions on a field?

Hi everyone, hoping for some help here.

I own a new home construction company and have a table in my app called "Home Plans." In that table are listed all details pertaining to specific home plans that we use over and over.

I have multiple users who do Estimating for me, but one MAIN user who aggregates data after a home is built and updates home plans based on the data from the field.  That user is also an Estimator, but is basically the Estimating Manager.

The Estimating Manager has all the same permissions, home page, etc as the Estimators, with the exception that he can edit home plans.

I would like to avoid cloning the Estimator role if possible, but need him to have the ability to edit home plans.

Is it possible to grant this individual use "Edit" access to certain fields in home plans? Or would I have to clone the Estimator role and create a new role with the Edit permissions?

Thanks for your help!
  • Cloning the role is probably how I would do it, or you might be able to have a dynamic form rule that will allow this specific user the ability to edit that field...

Have the Criteria be "if user is in the estimator role" AND user is <Jim Bob> then let the home plans field be editable.
      JoshCollins
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Hey Ryan, thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking at that now, however I don't find a way to add "User Is" in the criteria. I can only add "User is in Role."

Do you know of a way to pinpoint a specific individual user in the criteria?

Thanks!

Josh
      JoshCollins
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Thanks guys. I think I will just clone the role. It's probably something that will come in handy later anyway.

Thanks again!

Josh