Forum Discussion

kmaccalla
Qrew Member
2 months ago

Create A New Record In the Parent Table from the Child Record's Information

Hi all!

I am playing around with some options for my team in a new workflow. We have a Companies table that has all the known Companies. We will also have an Orders table that brings in information from online orders. The idea is to match each Order Record to an existing Company Record. (Each Company can have many Orders).

What I would like to add, if possible, is a button or way to Add a new Company Record using the information in the Order Record (Company Name and Address) without having to retype all that information.

Any recommendations?

• Well, the usual way to do this is to start the order and select a customer from a drop-down list. If the user finds that the customer is not on the list, you will see that there is a button to add new customer. So a pop-up window will open up where you will enter the customer information And then save that customer and continue on entering the rest of the order. 

You will have look up fields from the relationship where one customer has many orders for the usual things like address and phone numbers and what not. So that is the best practice really.

• Well, the usual way to do this is to start the order and select a customer from a drop-down list. If the user finds that the customer is not on the list, you will see that there is a button to add new customer. So a pop-up window will open up where you will enter the customer information And then save that customer and continue on entering the rest of the order. 

You will have look up fields from the relationship where one customer has many orders for the usual things like address and phone numbers and what not. So that is the best practice really.