Forum Discussion

SuryaExpert
Qrew Assistant Captain
6 years ago

Date on a grid edit report while in edit mode shows 1547942400000 for 1/20/2019

In a grid edit report, I have a date field coming from a lookup table (where the date field is the primary key). It shows 1-20-2019 correctly when I click on the drop down arrow. Once I select it, and tab to the next column in the grid, it shows the number 154794240000. When I save the report and it shows the data again, there it shows the date correctly as 1-20-2019.

What am I missing? How can I make sure it shows the date correctly all the time and not as the long numeric field.

4 Replies

• Dates are internally represented as the number of  milliseconds since that start of the Unix Epoch - midnight on January 1, 1970. This behavior is probably related to making the [Date] field the primary key. Choose another primary key and the behavior you observe will probably go away.
      SuryaExpert
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Dan, It is true that it is the seconds from 1/1/1970. However, it is not related to making the date the primary key. I used to have this issue even when it is an ordinary field in RoR application. When you pull a date value using the QB API, it always gives this result for date fields. Then I used to convert it back to a date to show it on the screen for the user. But in plain quickbase, I wish QuickBase takes care of this. As they pointed out, it is a bug and I urge QB to fix that bug soon.
  • In January 2017 I reported this behavior as well:

Bug Behavior with Related Reference fields from a source table with a Date-field as the Key
    When you have a table with a Key Field as a Date field; and build a relationship to a child table.

When you first create the child; your selections are normal (per your record picker). However; when you save the record without making a selection and then edit the record; the drop-down shows a nonsensical unknown value.

QuickBase response:
    "Sorry to report, but you've run into a bug. 
    QBE010296: Date Time as Reference results in incorrect values in child table "

I am pretty sure your issue is the same thing.
    SuryaExpert
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    As Dan mentioned it is probably the seconds from 1/1/1970. And by the way, it appears right after selecting the value from the dropdown. Once you save it and view it, the date appears correctly. I think the bug is where it shows the seconds from 1/1/1970. It should show the date all the time. That is the desired outcome. Otherwise, the users will complain and I will have to put QuickBase under the bus, (which I hate to do)