Forum Discussion

Yurij
Qrew Member
2 months ago

Embedded Grid Edit Report Pre-filtered Conditional Dropdown

I'm trying to get an embedded (report link) Grid Edit report field to return a pre-filtered conditional dropdown list similar to how a Form field can filter based on a report.  This is a Legacy Form. 

In screen shot 1 one can see a conditional dropdown list of Standard Deliverables (conditional on Discipline) that filters out Obsolete (checkbox field) deliverables by using the Form's "When Used for data entry:"  filtered dropdown report. (filtered Obsolete not equal checked)

I'm trying to replicate this behavior in an Embedded Grid Edit report, however, the full list of deliverables including the obsolete deliverables are showing up (eg. 3300 Utilities and 3610 Fabrication Drawings) and there doesn't seem to be an obvious method to pre-filter this dropdown list (ie. pre-filtered report).  I've done some reading on the subject in these discussions and the following discussion seems closest  (https://community.quickbase.com/discussions/quickbase-discussions/embedded-grid-edit-report-help/18372), however, I haven't been able to get any of these ideas to work. Any help would be appreciated. Please let me know if additional information is required.  

Screen shot 1 - Individual Record Form Conditional Drop Down List

Screen Shot 2 - Grid Edit conditional drop-down

Thanks in advance for any help!

• No problem.

This may not sound intuitive but there's an easy solution. Make a new Legacy style form and I suggest you call it Grid Edit Form.  Just list the field vertically on the form in the sequence you want them to appear In Grid Edit mode. Do the usual thing that you do on a regular form where you specify a report to filter out the obsolete records.

Then go into forms and you will see that now that you have more than 1 form it needs to know which use in different situations.

In Forms usage you can assign which form gets used for either Grid Edit globally  for all roles, or else you can look to the exact report which you want to control for Grid Edit behaviour ,  whether that be an embedded report on a Form on a parent or a standalone report, and in Forms Usage set that report form called Grid Edit Form  for Grid Edit. 

• No problem.

This may not sound intuitive but there's an easy solution. Make a new Legacy style form and I suggest you call it Grid Edit Form.  Just list the field vertically on the form in the sequence you want them to appear In Grid Edit mode. Do the usual thing that you do on a regular form where you specify a report to filter out the obsolete records.

Then go into forms and you will see that now that you have more than 1 form it needs to know which use in different situations.

In Forms usage you can assign which form gets used for either Grid Edit globally  for all roles, or else you can look to the exact report which you want to control for Grid Edit behaviour ,  whether that be an embedded report on a Form on a parent or a standalone report, and in Forms Usage set that report form called Grid Edit Form  for Grid Edit. 

Yurij
      Qrew Member

Hi Mark, 

Thanks for the solution, however, I will need a little bit more hand holding.  Should the new Grid Edit Form be created in the the same Table (Table 1) as the original Form that contains the embedded grid edit report (report link field) or the Table (Table 2) from which the Grid Edit Report belongs to as they are not the same. 

I assumed Table 1 but when I create the form and try to list the fields vertically, the fields from table 2 don't show up. 

Perhaps I'm missing something here. 

MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

The Grid Edit forms should be created in Table 2 - the child table that needs to be Grid Edited.