Forum Discussion

Le106
Qrew Member
10 days ago

Filtered Dropdown on Form

Hi everyone, so I am trying to create a dropdown for user to pick in a form and the dropdown need to be filtered from user previous selection. But if previous selection is not selected, user still be able to pick the dropdown and select from it.

To make it easier to understand, let say I have a form (in table called Main Table) with three dropdowns (State, County, and City from three tables) and State < County < City. If user pick Texas in State, then County dropdown will filter to only show Counties in Texas. But if user decide not to pick anything in State, the County dropdown will show all County in every states. Then if they pick Dallas County then City will filter to only cities in Dallas County and State will still be empty.

I am aware of Conditional Value (in Field Settings) but it requires user to first pick State in order to pick County. I am open to any suggestion and solution. Feel free to ask if you need me to explain more.

• A way to do this is to offer two separate methods to select.   Then have a formula to calculate the final text result. 

You might consider a radio button to have the user select which method they want t use and show the relevant fields for that selection 

Le106
      Qrew Member

Thank you for your reply. It is a way to approach it. However, it doesn't stop the user from entering mismatch information. If they accidentally pick the wrong radio button, they can still submit Texas as a state and New York City as City for example. Is there a way to fool-proof it?

MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

County seems unusual as a helpful CDD. I'm not sure that your users would know the County names. 

How about offering a radio button to select by state, and then directly list all cities in that State using a CDD, or alternatively  a radio button option to search all cities. 

Then formula fields in the background to resolve the final State, County, and City.