Forum Discussion

RoxanneZiegler
Qrew Cadet
28 days ago

formula help

I have a formula that reads It reads

[closing costs] - 400/2 

Closing costs -(minus) 400/ (divided)2

Example: Closing costs 1950.00 -400= 1550/ 2 = 775 But I am getting the wrong calculation - it is coming out at 1750.00

• ..so in math, there something called the order of operations.  I think probably way back in grade 5 or something like that I'm nerdy enough to still remember my teacher telling me BOMDAS

That stands for

Brackets

Of (as in 5% of x)

MD (Multiplication and Division)

AS (Adition and Subtraction)

BOMDAS

That means that in the absence of any Brackets, it will always do the Multiplication and Division first and then do the Addition and Subtraction next. 

Probably you want your formula to read like this  

([closing costs] - 400) / 2 

Other words take the closing costs, subtract 400,  and then take the result of that,  divided in half  

• ..so in math, there something called the order of operations.  I think probably way back in grade 5 or something like that I'm nerdy enough to still remember my teacher telling me BOMDAS

That stands for

Brackets

Of (as in 5% of x)

MD (Multiplication and Division)

AS (Adition and Subtraction)

BOMDAS

That means that in the absence of any Brackets, it will always do the Multiplication and Division first and then do the Addition and Subtraction next. 

Probably you want your formula to read like this  

([closing costs] - 400) / 2 

Other words take the closing costs, subtract 400,  and then take the result of that,  divided in half