Forum Discussion

CarolMcconnell
Qrew Captain
2 months ago

Get data from an unrelated table

I have a QuickBase and I have three tables involved. 

1. DSO
  2. TINS
  3. Contacts

The Tins and the contacts table are related to the DSO table using the Field DSO name.

What I need to do is pull in some contact fields into  the Tins table.

How would I set up the relationship in order to do this?  

Thanks.

MarkShnier__You
    2 months ago

OK, np,

Create a field called [Contact for Rollup] on the Contracts table which combines the fields you want to retrieve.  For example

List(" ", [Name],[ Email],Phone])

Use a Combined Text Summary field on the relationship between DSO and Contacts to roll these up to the Parent DSO.  Accept the suggested name for the field. Filter on Primary.

Make a formula field on the DSO

SearchAndReplace(ToText(Combined Text Contact for Roll up])," ; ", " \n")

Look that field up down to TINS.

• I don't think that will work for me.  What I'm doing is that I have another QuickBase that is pulling data from my Tins table in this Quickbase, based on the Tin field.  On the contacts table there is a checkbox field that indicates Primary contact and I need to pull that particular contact over to the other QuickBase but it needs to based on Tin.  I don't have the tin on the contacts table.  I was thinking the easiest way would be to pull in the contact to the Tins table.  Since I already have the Tins table connected to the other quickbase.  I hope this makes sense.

MarkShnier__You
      Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

OK, np,

Create a field called [Contact for Rollup] on the Contracts table which combines the fields you want to retrieve.  For example

List(" ", [Name],[ Email],Phone])

Use a Combined Text Summary field on the relationship between DSO and Contacts to roll these up to the Parent DSO.  Accept the suggested name for the field. Filter on Primary.

Make a formula field on the DSO

SearchAndReplace(ToText(Combined Text Contact for Roll up])," ; ", " \n")

Look that field up down to TINS.

CarolMcconnell
        Qrew Captain

Okay, this worked, now how do I pull out only the email address.  I would assume that this formula would need to change? SearchAndReplace(ToText(Combined Text Contact for Roll up])," ; ", " \n").  Right now it pulls in the Name,email and phone and I only want email.

• There are a few ways to do this.

If you are OK with just showing an embedded report of Contacts on the TINS table, np, just make a Report Link field on the TINS table called [DSO Contacts] and configure the Left side with [DSO Name] and then configure the right side with navigating to your app, and then the field on Contacts for [DSO name].  Watch out for a probable annoying pop up blocker that you need to allow on that second step.

Then just put the report link on the old style Form, or if you are on new forms put an unfiltered Report of contacts on the form and set the form element to use the report link field you just created as a filter.