Forum Discussion

RoxanneZiegler
Qrew Cadet
29 days ago

How to stop a user from adding into a field

I have a drop down field used in a parent table. The list is coming from another table (child)- it's one field that is a text field that has names in it. 

in the old forms, there was something saying let users add choices - I have user input but those from list wants me to add stuff into drop down and from another field doesn't make sense- The reason i made a a table for these choices is so I could go in and change them with end dates and start dates

The field says 

Input type

User input

From list

From another field

I am using the glitchy new forms. horrible upgrade in my opinion I have had nothing but trouble since building it. 

• I can try to help you but I'm trying to understand your question.

You seem to be describing some options and field properties for a multiple choice field. In a multiple choice field there's a checkbox which controls whether or not you want to add Regular users add choices.  

Can you explain in more detail what the obstacle you are facing is?

• I can try to help you but I'm trying to understand your question.

You seem to be describing some options and field properties for a multiple choice field. In a multiple choice field there's a checkbox which controls whether or not you want to add Regular users add choices.  

Can you explain in more detail what the obstacle you are facing is?

• Correct normally in a drop down list there is a a checkbox when I create the drop down list in that form. This field is coming from another table. 

In the child table on the field that it is sharing to the parent table - it has these options

The field says 

Input type

User input

From list

From another field

I have picked User input because from another field won't work - from list gives me a drop down list option for me to add the choice but I have used a report on the form with the choices. Does this make sense? It didn't happen on the legacy forms - 

MarkShnier__You
      Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

Sorry, but I'm still not able to understand your question. What is your specific obstacle. How is the app behaving that is contrary to what you want?

• I have a form with a field from another table. "Location table has many tours" this brings the field that I want to my "Tours table"  That field from the child table is a multiple choice. On the form I use a default record picker that gives the value of the list in the child table. It is a pull down menu with choice.

Normally in the field there is a choice to allow users to create a new choice. On the old legacy forms - on the new forms it allows them a choice. IT never did this before. 

Because this field is from a child table and i go into the field from build form - it has no such choice. Because it is a text Look up field from the child table. Refrernce field comes from a different table. when I edit the relationship there is no where that I says DONT let people create location. 

When I go into the field in the child table it is a text field. Under text field options I have User input which I have checked off

From list and then it wants me to add data to this list and then it has From another field - 

I don't know maybe I am not explaining it correctly with all the right terminology. 

MarkShnier__You
      Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

It sounds like you want to prevent regular users from adding locations to your table of locations.  Is that the question?

If so, then you can control that in two ways.

1. In Permisisons for those roles you can not allow that role to create records.  
      2. The other choice is that you can go into the role and then the user interface and set the checkboxes there to hide the add button for the location table for certain Roles.  
  • Yes that worked - thanks - Not sure why it can not be done in the field but I tested and it worked - thank you  for all your patience