Forum Discussion

Gabe
Qrew Member
2 months ago

Incrementing a field values based off another field's content.

Hello,

I'm currently working on a project where many tables have relationships and require automation features. For instance, if a user selects an option from a lookup field, [Field X], in Table X, then in doing so, [Field Y] will increment in another separate table, Table Y.

My design right now is built on a set of reference tables that can be utilized in an operations table. My goal is to "trigger" events such as the one described above to reduce clutter in the operations table. I can provide screenshots and table data/field info if the structure of my app is not sufficiently described. All of the data are just filler to work on functionality.

Many thanks,

Gabe

• In general you can use pipelines to automate functions but without knowing more about your app and it's purpose, on the surface I would have to question why you need to increment counters in another table.

For example if you wanted to know how many times a particular record was created where a certain look up field was chosen, you can easily run reports for that or create summary fields for that.

So I would just caution you that maybe you want to be using summary fields and not fancy automated processes using pipelines

Gabe
      Qrew Member

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your insight. I'll take a look into pipelines more. The main purpose of the automation is to track the number of times a tool undergoes a cycle for our process.

I am using an existing record in the reference table to represent an "object" with its "fields" as properties of sorts. When a record in the operations table is modified, the reference/"object" table receives a trigger from operations to increment its [Cycle #] field depending on the reference field changed.

Let me provide a flow chart that can shed light on my line of thought.

MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

Can you tell me the names of your tables and their relationships?   Which is the One side and which is the Many side?

For example one Machine has many Cycle records?