Forum Discussion

DonStrickland
Qrew Trainee
19 days ago
Solved

Journaling

I have a need to 'journal' within a record.

Within a record there is a <journal entry> field which always defaults on display to blank (ready for a new journal entry by a user).

A user places some text in the <journal entry> field, then clicks save.

The system takes the journal entry, stamps it with a date and the users name, and appends it to the <journal> field. Then clears out the entry.

The journal field is a read only text field with the latest entry at the top. Much like an email chain, looking like this:

Mary Smith on 1/4/2024: Yes
John Smith on 1/2/2024: Con you get me the report?

I got it working 90% using pipelines. But I have two issues: I click save and the record is not refreshed, so I have to refresh it manually, that is a bad user experience, I'd like some advice on if I can use a pipeline to force a refresh/redraw, and 2), the system enters a blank line after every update. I am using {{CLEAR}} to clear the journal entry field, which works great, but after adding that expression a blank line always appears in the journal. If I remove that expression, the blank line goes away but the journal entry field remains populated. 

any advice is greatly appreciated. 

• Holy crap! That was easy. A million thanks! In my world the term 'logging' represents different functionality, so I didn't even consider that as an option. But now I know. Learning every day! Thank you all!!!! 

2 Replies

• Holy crap! That was easy. A million thanks! In my world the term 'logging' represents different functionality, so I didn't even consider that as an option. But now I know. Learning every day! Thank you all!!!! 

• Did you try a regular text field with this setting turned on?

Log entries

Select Log the edits to this field and show them on forms to log the entries to this field. Useful for revision tracking, comments, or notes.