Forum Discussion

UriGoldstein
Qrew Trainee
2 months ago

Pipelines: Lookup newest record?

Hi,

In a Quickbase pipeline, I need to fetch a single record from a table. That record needs to be the newest record added to the table. 

I tried two common approaches but neither seems possible using "Search Records" or "Lookup Record" steps:
  - Filtering so that Record ID = "MAX(Record ID)"
  - Sorting by Record ID descending and limiting results to 1.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kinds regards,
Uri

• One way to do this is to identify the Max  Record ID# in native Quickbase first,  you can do that by making a helper table with one record in it, and relating it to all records in the details table. With the formula field of 1.  

Then do a Summary Maximum to get the Max Record ID#.  Then you know in the pipeline which record to retrieve with a Lookup Record step.

• One way to do this is to identify the Max  Record ID# in native Quickbase first,  you can do that by making a helper table with one record in it, and relating it to all records in the details table. With the formula field of 1.  

Then do a Summary Maximum to get the Max Record ID#.  Then you know in the pipeline which record to retrieve with a Lookup Record step.

MarkShnier__You
      Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

There is probably a way to do this in the Pipeline using the results of a query and a jinja Max function, but I don't know the syntax for that.

• Many thanks Mark!

I ended up using another technique where I used a formula query to "reverse number" the records a "formula- checkbox" field to identify the latest formula based on that.

Sharing the recipe in case someone might find it  useful:

1. I added a "Formula - Number"-type field (named "Order") to my table. The formula is:

// Query all records with Record ID greater than the current record's Record ID
    var text QUERY = "{3.GT." & [Record ID#] & "}";  

// How many records returned from the query
    var number ORDER = Size(GetRecords($QUERY)); 

// Because ORDER actually yields nothing when empty
    If($ORDER > 0, $ORDER + 1, 1) 

2. I added a "Formula - Checkbox"-type field (named "IsLatest") with this formula:

[Order] = 1 

3. In my pipeline I lookup only the record where IsLatest is checked.