Forum Discussion

LB
Qrew Cadet
2 days ago

Red line records

I have a request to update choices in a multi-select field and delete or make it an option where certain user roles can't select an option in the field...I don't really want to delete the previous option and red line several records, is there anyway to have a user not be able to select certain options in a field?

Or is there a better way to deal with making the data changes that displays the previous option as red?

• I suggest retiring the Multi Choice Text field and replace it with a relationship.   For example:

Perhaps you previously had "International" as an Opp Type.    You clear the check box in the field Active and use a Record Picker Report to prevent Users from being able to use that in the future.

Your Opportunity records that were International still are and will not have the annoying red color to them.   

LB
      Qrew Cadet

Hi Don, 

Thanks for responding. I'm not sure that I want to make additional tables for individual fields and relationships, I could see this being a bit cumbersome. I'm not quite understanding what you mean by clearing a check box?

Thanks!

LB

• The goal is not to make anything cumbersome for the developer.  Our goal is to make it easy on the User.

From the diagram, the check box is your field [Active]  in the Opp Type Table.

You should try this with a quick test application.   Make a new application with just the two table described above.  Use the real names from your current application so that it is a relevant test.

In the parent table, which I called Opp Type, make a report that shows all records where Active = TRUE

Use that report as the Record Picker for your Users in the form for the table I called Opportunity.  Again use your own names.

Then test it by adding some records.

Then change the Active box and see how the User Experience changes when they create more records.