Forum Discussion

JoshWeeman
Qrew Assistant Captain
7 years ago

Most powerful examples of javascript/jquery with IOL technique

We are beginning to refine our QuickBase application, which until this point has relied solely on native-QB UI.  Using the IOL technique I now have some very basic jQuery code applied to some UI elements in my application.  I'm eager to learn more, and I'm wondering just how far others have been able to take this approach to enhance QB's native UI.  

Would any of you be willing to share some links to examples of what you consider the most powerful UI enhancements using javascript/jquery via IOL? 

Thanks in advance!
  • The Pastie Database contains 100s of entries many of which employ the IOL technique.

Pastie Database 
    https://haversineconsulting.quickbase.com/db/bgcwm2m4g?a=td

Each pastie has a link back to the original forum question and in many cases has a link to a live demo. All of the code has been tested at the time it was used but over time there may have been an underlying change in QuickBase which breaks the demo. If the demo does not work as advertised there is probably a small tweak needed.

But the IOL technique is old now. Other techniques have been developed including BOL (Branding OnLoad), EOH (Error OLoad), OEH (OError HTML), and SW (Service Workers). And we have a new technology being developed for QuickBase application using ELM (http://elm-lang.org/) which will take user interface to an unprecedented level. Also, word is that Haskell is coming to Empower 2018.

JoshWeeman
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Thanks! I have been digging into the Pastie Database for the last several days, there is some great stuff in there.  I have also reviewed the BOL technique, but have yet to look at using EOH, OEH, or Service Workers for injecting code.

I had assumed (possibly incorrectly) that although they employ different methods, the IOL and BOL techniques have roughly the same level of capabilities of what they can achieve in terms of user interface enhancement.  In comparison, do EOH, OEH, or Service Workers offer increased capabilities with regards to UI tweaks?  Would love to know the best direction for me to focus my efforts currently (until ELM becomes the new thing).
      _anomDiebolt_
      Qrew Elite
      IOL and EOL (variant of IOL) can only inject script onto pages where a raw field can be displayed (new, view, edit, report, grid edit).

BOL can inject script into every page in the application.

SW can inject script into every page in the account. It is also called QuickBase god mode because it is so powerful it can do just about anything including make QuickBase work offline, push notifications as well as act as a full netowrk proxy implemented in JavaScript.

OEH is a way to write native formulas that can use arbitrary script to calculate and display any value without referencing a code page. 

ELM is an front end technology that is incredibly powerful and would be used to make user interfaces using code pages. ELM is written in Haskell and beats the pants off of React and Angular. QuickBase is flirting with using React and Angular so I am just sort of rubbing their nose in a better technology, 
      JoshWeeman
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Awesome explanation, thanks for the succinct comparison of the available methods. Very helpful.  When do you expect to see solutions involving ELM start to emerge?