Forum Discussion

JuanSolorio1
Qrew Cadet
2 months ago

Override role permissions with button

Hello everyone! I am hoping someone may be able to assist me with this issue.

I have a role that prevents users from editing a record once the status of the record has changed to "Closed". However, there are instances where I want to allow the user to edit certain aspects of the record. I would do this by creating a button that would show up for the user based on certain conditions that I set.

The issue, naturally, is that even though I can display the button for them, they still cannot edit the record due to the restrictive conditions of the role. They get the "Access Needed" message.

Is there a way to override user's roles, and maybe use Administrator access, in a URL button so that users who see the button can click it and edit the record?

Thank you in advance for your input!

• If I understand correctly, it sounds like you have role access level rules for the modify portion where If [status] = "Closed", do not allow that role to edit the record. However, there may be instances where this rule is too simple and the role may actually need to edit certain aspects of the record if x, y, or z are true. 
    If I were you, I would:

1. Create a formula checkbox field that encompasses all factors of why a user may be able to edit the record. Code it in such a way that if the user is allowed to edit the record, then this formula checkbox field will be true (checked). Then go to your role-access level rules and change the custom access rule to:
    If [formula checkbox field] = true then the user may edit the record.